Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 pounds chicken wings, joints separated, tips discarded
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 2 cups stemmed pickled hot red cherry peppers
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- Let the chicken wings sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat the oil until the temperature registers 300 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Using blender or food processor, puree 2 cups stemmed pickled hot red cherry peppers with 1/4 cup EVOO, 3 tbsp. tomato paste, 2 tbsp. honey and pinch each salt and pepper. Add pickling liquid from the cherry pepper jar to thin sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Season the wings with the salt, then toss in the flour to coat. Add half of the wings to the oil, partially cover the pan and fry, turning occasionally with tongs, until golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; blot with the paper towels, then discard the towels. Keep the first batch of wings warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining wings.
- Toss wings in cherry pepper mixture.