Makes: 9 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 35 mins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (preferably 72% to73% cocoa), finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line an 8-inch square baking dish with foil and coat with cooking spray. Using a food processor, grind 1/2 cup almonds in 1-second pulses. Add the gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt and process briefly to blend. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, eggs, applesauce and almond extract to the food processor and mix until smooth. Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the chocolate and remaining 3/4 cup almonds.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until lightly browned on the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.