Makes: 4 servings
Yield: 2 qt.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Bones, neck and any skin from two 3 1/2-to-4-lb chickens
- 2 onions, quartered but not peeled
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- In a 7- to 8-qt. stockpot, combine all the ingredients. Top with 4 qt. cold water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 hours. Strain the liquid and discard the solids.
- Divide the stock and refrigerate, uncovered, until completely cool. Skim the fat from the top and discard. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.