Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 1 pound round loaf soft italian or french bread
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 large cloves garlic, 1 halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 10 ounces hot italian sausage
- 1 16 ounce jar pizza sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 400 degrees . Cut out the center of the bread, leaving a 1-inch border. Using your fingers, hollow out the bread to leave about 1 inch at the bottom.
- Place the cut-out bread on a work surface; cut into rectangular pieces to use as dippers. Place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp. EVOO; toss. Place the bread bowl on the baking sheet. Bake until the inside of the bowl is toasted, 5 minutes.
- Transfer the bread bowl to a platter; rub the cut garlic on the inside. Toss the dippers again and bake for 5 minutes more. Transfer to the platter; increase oven heat to 450 degrees .
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat; add the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Chop the remaining garlic clove; add to the pot. Add the sausage; cook, breaking it into chunks, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the pizza sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 5 minutes.
- Return the bread bowl to the baking sheet; ladle in the sauce. Top with the 2 cheeses. Bake until the cheese browns, about 10 minutes. Top with the oregano.
- Nestle the bread bowl among the dippers on the platter.