Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 finely chopped and 2 very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 10 ounce cans baby clams in water
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp thyme leaves for garnishing
- Salt and pepper
- Sweet smoked paprika, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees . Line a baking sheet with foil, coat with cooking spray, and add the garlic slices in an even layer. Spray again with the cooking spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpea flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup water, the clams and their liquid, the potatoes, milk and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil, stirring, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender and the soup is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the baked garlic chips, paprika and thyme leaves.