Makes: 2 to 3 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 55 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 3 - 3 1/2pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chilesstemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, ore more to taste
- 1 1/2cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned hominy, drained
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems discarded
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the EVOO over high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken pieces to the pot in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium and discard all but 1 tbsp. of fat from the pot. Add the onion, half of the jalapenos and the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, then stir in the chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the hominy and enough water to just cover (about 2 cups). Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover and cook for 40 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and let cool slightly. Shred the meat and return it to the pot (discard the skin and bones).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the remaining jalapenos and the cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges, sour cream and an extra sprinkling of coarse salt and pepper.