Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 mins to
Roast: 1 hr 25 mins to
- 1 boneless beef rib roast (4 to 4 1/2 lbs)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Season the roast generously with salt and pepper; let sit at room temperature for about 1 hour. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees .
- Using a food processor, coarsely chop the pecans. Add the panko, butter, mustard, 1 tbsp. thyme and a pinch each salt and pepper; pulse to combine.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, rotating occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place a rack in a roasting pan and transfer the beef to the rack. Spread the pecan coating evenly over the top of the beef, patting gently to adhere.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 120 degrees , about 1 hour 25 minutes. Transfer to a carving board with a moat and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing (if any coating falls off, sprinkle it onto the slices before serving). Top slices with more thyme leaves.