Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 32 ounce container vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 small butternut squash (1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- In a large dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the barley and the vegetable broth; season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the squash, cover the pot and cook until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and 1 cup cheese and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Buy precut squash, which will spare you the time it takes to peel and chop.