Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 pounds green cabbage, cut into 1-inch strips
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring the cream and caraway seeds to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by about half, 8 to 10 minutes. If desired, strain the cream and discard the caraway seeds.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the cabbage and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing with tongs, until the cabbage is crisp-tender and the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining cabbage.
- Toss the cooked cabbage with the cream mixture. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Green cabbage costs a fraction of what spinach does, and the leaves don't shrink down as much when cooked. The baked-in-cream version really tastes like a splurge.