Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 425°F 1 hr 10 mins
- 4 1/2 pounds boneless turkey breast with skin, tied (most come this way, or ask your butcher)
- 4 tablespoons butter (2 oz), 2 tbsp. melted
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup jarred pitted sour cherries plus 1 cup syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush the turkey with the melted butter; season. Place skin side down on a rack in a roasting pan; pour the stock in the pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook the onion in the remaining 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the cherries and syrup, chipotle, mustard and honey. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat. Using a blender, puree 1/2 cup of the mixture.
- Turn the turkey over; roast for another 30 minutes. Brush with the pureed cherry mixture; roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 155 degrees, 10 minutes. Tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes (the temperature will rise to 160 degrees).
- Strain the pan juices into the reserved cherry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard the turkey string. Slice crosswise; serve with the sauce.
- Cooking a turkey breast instead of a whole bird cuts your cooking time in half.