Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 350° 1 hr 15 mins
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4cup milk, warmed
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork and place in a baking pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until very tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; stir in the maple syrup. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl, discarding the skins; mash with a potato masher. Stir in the warm butter mixture and milk. Mash to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes to a microwave-safe dish or serving bowl and cover with foil. Just before serving, remove the foil and microwave on high power in 2-minute increments, stirring in between, until heated through.
- Skip peeling just roast the potatoes in their skins before mashing.