Makes: 4 servings
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound white or whole wheat penne rigate
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/4- 1/2 pound prosciutto di parma (ask at the deli counter for prosciutto ends, which are sold at a discount), cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- about 1/2 cup marsala or dry white wine
- grated parmigiano-reggiano, for tossing
- finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnishing
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, bring the chicken stock and porcinis to a boil. Simmer until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Puree in a food processor.
- Meanwhile,in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and stir until the fat renders, a couple of minutes. Add the creminis and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and marsala. Stir in the mushroom puree and cook at a fairly rapid bubble, stirring, until reduced, 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and reserved cooking water to the sauce. Add the cheese as you toss. Serve in shallow bowls; top with parsley.