Makes: 4 servings
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 cup chicken stock
- a generous pinch saffron (20-24 threads)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound sweet or hot sausage
- 1 pound pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into small dice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 fresno chile pepper, thinly sliced, or 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 28 - 32 ouncecan san marzano tomatoes
- grated pecorino-romano, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 12 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, heat the stock and saffron. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Crumble in the sausage and cook until browned. Add the pumpkin (or squash), onion, garlic and chile; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in the saffron stock and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced, 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta and reserved cooking water to the sauce and toss. Serve in bowls and top with the cheese.