Yield: 4 1/2 dozen
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 350°F 15 mins
- 2 8 ounce sticks butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- cooking icing (optional)
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, baking powder and salt at low speed. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, mixing at low speed until a dough forms. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 disks; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Between two sheets of parchment, roll out 1 disk of dough 1/4 inch thick. Using a mustache-shaped cookie cutter ($15 for 3, loopsandpluto.com), cut out the dough; gather and reserve the scraps. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to a parchment-lined cookie sheet; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat with the second disk of dough. Combine the scraps, roll them out and form more cookies.
- Bake the cookies until the edges are golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately and carefully insert one end of a small skewer into the bottom side of each cookie. Let cool, then decorate with cookie icing, if desired.