Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 6 tablespoons EVOO
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28 ouncecan italian plum tomatoes; preferably san marzano, crushed
- 2 large ribs celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- coarse salt
- 1 cup pitted olives, preferably a mix of black oil-cured and green, halved
- 1/3cup drained nonpareil capers in brine
- 1/4cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pound fusilli
- 1/2cup grated grana padano or parmigiano-reggiano
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. in a large skillet, heat 14 cup EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until sizzling and golden around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper; toast for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, celery and 12 tsp. salt. Fill the tomato can with 1 cup pasta water and swish to collect any remaining tomato juices; add to the skillet. Bring the sauce to a boil. Stir in the olives, lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the capers and parsley and simmer for a few minutes.
- When the sauce is about halfway done, add the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente; drain and add the pasta to the sauce, tossing to coat. Continue cooking and tossing the pasta in the sauce until well coated. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO; toss again. Remove from the heat, then toss with the cheese.