Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 2 cups milk, plus more if needed
- 2 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled, plus 4 tbsp sliced garlic (about 6 large cloves)
- 4 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- coarse salt
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2- 2 pounds broccoli
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups milk, the whole garlic cloves, bay leaves and 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil over medium heat. Boil until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup, about 40 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Pour into a sieve set over a bowl and use a wooden spoon or spatula to press the soft garlic through. Whisk the sauce until smooth, then whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO; season with salt.
- Meanwhile, separate the broccoli into 2- to 3-inch florets on their stems; trim the stems to about 4 inches long. Peel the tough skin from the stems, then halve each lengthwise.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sliced garlic in the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the broccoli; sprinkle with the crushed red pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Pour in 1/2 cup water; cover and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes, adding 1/4 cup water at a time as needed if the broccoli sears (it should be tender but still bright, and the pan should be dry). Uncover and remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve, reheat the garlic sauce. Thin with more milk if desired. Serve the broccoli in a pool of the sauce.