Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 1 hr 10 mins to 1 hr 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 12 ounces sharp yellow cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef chuck
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 lb 5 oz) florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk; bring to a simmer and whisk for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 8 oz. cheddar and season with salt and pepper; let cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- In a large, deep skillet or pot, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the onion is softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Push the onion to the side of the pan; in the center, add 1 tbsp. EVOO and crumble in the ground beef. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes. Break up the meat with a spatula, then cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup and 11/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until al dente, 2 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water until cool; coarsely chop and season with salt and pepper.
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the remaining EVOO and the noodles, stirring, until al dente; drain. Transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees . Greasea 9-by-13-inch baking dish; pour in 3/4 cup of the meat sauce. Add a layer of noodles, overlapping slightly. Spoon on 11/2 cups of the meat sauce and 1/2 cup of the remaining shredded cheddar. Add another layer of noodles, half of the broccoli, 11/4 cups of the cheese sauce and another layer of noodles. Repeat with more meat sauce, the remaining cheddar, more noodles, the remaining broccoli and more cheese sauce. Add a fifth layer of noodles, the remaining meat sauce and the remaining cheese sauce. Cover the pan with a greased sheet of parchment, then wrap with foil. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 1 hour; uncover and bake for 15 minutes more. Loosen the foil, then let stand for 30 minutes before serving.