Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 1 hr 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 firm, medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 2 firm, medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2cup EVOO, plus more for brushing
- 1 head garlic
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 1 ball mozzarella (1 lb), shredded
- 1/4cup finely chopped mint and parsley (2 tbsp each)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 28 ouncecan san marzano tomatoes
- a few basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons grated red onion
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 4 small baking potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick on a mandoline
- 1/4cup finely chopped rosemary and thyme (2 tbsp each)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Peel the eggplants, leaving on some of the skin so they look striped, then slice crosswise 14 inch thick. Salt and let drain on kitchen towels for 30 minutes. Slice the zucchini 14 inch thick on an angle; salt and let drain with the eggplant.
- Pat the eggplant and zucchini dry with a kitchen towel. Divide between 2 baking sheets, brush with EVOO and roast until slightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Peel the garlic and place the whole cloves in a small pan; cover with 12 cup EVOO and cook over low heat until the cloves are soft and caramel in color, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the ricotta with 1 cup each parmigiano-reggiano and mozzarella, the mint-parsley mixture and egg; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup each parmigiano-reggiano and mozzarella.
- Place the tomatoes and their juices in a food processor. Puree with all of the garlic cloves, 3 to 4 tbsp. of the garlic oil, the basil leaves, onion and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the oven to 400 degrees . Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish; layer in half of the eggplant and zucchini, then dollop one-third of the ricotta mixture on top. Next, shingle half of the potatoes on top and season with salt and pepper, a sprinkling of the chopped rosemary-thyme mixture and a drizzle of the remaining garlic oil. Top with another third of the ricotta mixture. Layer with the remaining eggplant, zucchini, ricotta mixture and potatoes; season with the remaining rosemary-thyme mixture and garlic oil. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and the parmigiano-mozzarella mixture.
- Cover the lasagna with greased parchment and wrap with foil; bake on a baking sheet for 40 minutes; uncover and bake until deeply golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.