Yield: 16 squares
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 350°F 45 mins
- 3/4 cup salted, roasted peanuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 4 ounce stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grape or strawberry jam
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line an 8-inch square baking pan with an 8x13 inch sheet of parchment, letting the excess hang over.
- Using a food processor, pulse the peanuts until chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In the processor bowl (no need to clean), mix the 2 flours, the brown sugar and salt. Add the butter; pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the peanut butter and vanilla; process until crumbly. Measure out 2/3 cup of the crumb mixture; transfer to the bowl of peanuts.
- Dump the remaining crumb mixture into the prepared pan and pan down firmly (it doesn't have to be perfectly even). Spoon the jam on top and spread to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle the peanut-crumb mixture evenly over the top, going all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Bake until the top is golden-brown and the jam is bubbling, about 45 minutes. (If browning too quickly on top, lay a sheet of foil loosely over the pan.) Transfer the pan to a rack to cool completely.
- Grasp the parchment and gently lift the entire dessert out of the pan. Place on a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.
- A little whole wheat flour adds a nutty flavor, a crunchy texture-and a bit of fiber.