Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 small onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 10 ounce package thawed frozen baby peas
- 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen shelled edamame
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 slice sandwich bread
- 4 slice emmentaler
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Chop the onion finely. In a small stockpot, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the onion and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Cook stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the peas, edamame, 1 1/2 cups milk and the thyme into the pan. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprigs from the soup using a pair of tongs; discard.
- Puree the soup and the remaining 1/2 cup milk with an immersion blender (or let cool and puree in a regular blender) until smooth, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whip the heavy cream with the egg beater until stiff.
- Cut the crusts off the bread. Assemble 4 sammies with the cheese, cutting it to fit the bread.
- Melt 1/2 tbsp butter over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add 2 sammies; cook until golden on the bottom (use a spatula to take a peek to see if they're done), about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tbsp butter to the pan and flip the sammies. Cook until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 minutes. Cut each sandwich into 3 sticks. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the remaining butter and sammies.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, dollop with the whipped cream and top with the chives. Serve with the grilled cheese sticks.