Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees . Roast 3 red peppers, 2 tomatoes, 1 quartered onion (skin on) and 1 small head of garlic, turning, until blackened, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tear 2 dried ancho chilies into pieces. Soak in 1 1/2 cups hot water until tender, about 10 minutes, drain.
- When the veggies are done, plane them in a bowl, cover with a towel. Let them cool, then remove skin and seeds and discard.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) over medium. Add 1/4 cup blanched marcona or regular almonds and 1 cup bread cubes and toast, turning often, until brown, 5 minutes.
- Puree the veggies, chilies and almond mixture in a blender until almost smooth. Add 1 tbsp sherry vinegar and 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika; season.
- Will keep in the fridge for 1 week.
- Spread on your favorite burger. Amp up the Spanish flavor by topping with a thin slice of manchego cheese.
- Toss with roasted new potatoes or hot pasta.
- Serve with seared scallops or halibut.