Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 6 ounces thinly sliced swiss, plus 2 oz. shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the broiler. Arrange 4 slices of bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top each with one-quarter of the milk and sliced cheese. Spread one-quarter of the milk sauce over each sandwich; top with the remaining bread slices. Carefully spread the outsides of the sandwiches with the remaining 2 tbsp. butter. Broil, turning once, until the bread is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and broil the sandwiches again until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, drizzle the tomatoes with the sherry vinegar and EVOO; season with salt. Remove the sandwiches, slice in half and serve immediately with the tomatoes.
- ... a cabbage slaw side. Saute 2 cups red cabbage with 1 tbsp. butter and a pinch salt.