Yield: Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen sandwiches
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 2 1/2 sticks (10 oz.) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/3 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the granulated sugar; beat until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine the flour, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Lay 4 sheets of wax paper side by side on a flat surface; dust with flour. Place one-quarter of the dough on each sheet; sprinkle with flour and top with another sheet. Refrigerate 3 of the 4 sheets.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease 2 cookie sheets. On a work surface, roll out 1 piece of dough 1/8 inch thick. Place it back on the wax paper, chill and repeat with the other dough pieces.
- Remove 2 rolled dough pieces from the refrigerator and, using a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as you can, then roll out and cut cookies from the scraps. Arrange on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Using a 3/4-inch cookie cutter, cut pieces out of the centers of half the cookies to create "windows" for the cookie tops.
- Bake the cookies until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Repeat Steps 4 through 6 with the remaining 2 pieces of dough.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the raspberry jam over low heat. Remove; let cool slightly. Spoon 1/2 tsp. onto each bottom cookie; sandwich with a top cookie. Dust with confectioners' sugar.