Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 2 tomatillas, husked and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 serrano chilestemmed, seeded, halved lengthwise and coarsely chopped
- 5 sprigs cilantro, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/2cup firmly packed chopped green or black kale
- 1/2cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4cup chopped white onion
- 1/4cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons mexican crema or sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place the tomatillos on a rimmed baking sheet; roast for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small skillet, roast the garlic over medium heat, turning once, until the skin is slightly blackened and the flesh is soft and fragrant. Let cool, then peel and discard the skin. Place the garlic into a large mortar and pestle or a small food processor with a pinch of salt; work into a paste. Add the roasted tomatillos and any juices from the baking sheet. Add the chile and cilantro and continue to work the mixture into a coarse-textured salsa. Adjust the seasonings.
- IN a medium skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the kale, season with salt and cook until wilted. Stir in the chicken and salsa verde; cook to heat through. Lower the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle or large skillet. Cook the tortillas on both sides until soft and warm. (Shortcut: Wrap the tortillas in a damp kitchen towel and mrcrowave on high for 30 seconds.)
- Spoon a few heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with the onion and queso fresco. Drizzle with the mexican crema.