Makes: 4 servings
Start to Finish: 30 mins
- 1/4 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 6 corn tortillas, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack
- 1 avocado, diced and sprinkled with fresh lime or lemon juice, for garnishing
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the tortilla pieces and brown well; season with salt. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk up the eggs, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into the skillet and scramble to desired doneness. Top with the cheese and avocado.