Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 2 hrs 45 mins
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2pounds cubed boneless beef stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2pounds carrots, peeled and sliced 1 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large sprigs thyme
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2cup pickled pearl onions, for garnishing
- In a 6-qt. dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour to coat evenly. Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the carrots, onion, thyme, garlic and remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 5 to 7 minutes. increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the tomato paste for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and press a piece of parchment on top. Cover and cook over low heat, turning the meat once, until very tender, about 2 1/2 hours. ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with the pickled onions.
- An extra buck will buy you ... baked potatoes. Split them, slather with salted butter and serve a half with each portion of beef.
- Get playful by topping with your favorite pickled veggies--think okra, asparagus spears, or green beans.