Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 45 mins
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt (also called shoulder roast), cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig oregano
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 large bulb fennel, stems and fronds trimmed off and bulb quartered lengthwise
- 3/4 cup dried apricots (about 4 oz.)
- In a 6-qt. dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Working in batches, add the pork, season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; transfer to a bowl. Pour off the fat.
- Add the onion, garlic, oregano, anchovies and remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the pork, Fennel bulb and stewms and the apricots, season again and press a piece of parchment on top. Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Discard the fennel stems, ladle the stew into large, shallow bowls and garnish with the fennel fronds.
- An extra buck will buy you ... a bed of couscous. Scoop 1/2 cup cooked, salted couscous into each bowl before ladling in the stew.
- For a heartier sauce, spoon out the meat and veggies, then let the juices cook until reduced.