Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 4 hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnishing
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocados with a fork until nearly smooth. Stir in the garlic, onion, 2 tbsp. cilantro, the lime juice and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface and let sit for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Discard the plastic wrap and season the guacamole to taste with salt. (Remember: The tortilla chips are salty.) Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Variation Wasabi Shrimp:
- Stir in prepared wasabi to taste, then mix in chopped cooked shrimp.
- Add chopped sweet mango and habanero chile.
Variation Cobb Salad:
- Mix in chopped grilled chicken breasts, crumbled crispy bacon and diced tomatoes.
- Stir in unsweetened cocoa powder to taste. Thin with a drizzle of EVOO if needed.
- Using a food processor, finely chop some roasted tomatillos. Let cool, then fold in.
- Add blanched asparagus tips and halved cherry tomatoes and top with shaved parmesan.
- Thin guac slightly with a splash of orange juice, then add bite-size orange pieces.
Variation Crunchy Corn:
- Throw in a handful of chopped cucumber, canned corn kernels and cotija cheese.
Variation Berry-Basil Blast:
- Fold in chopped strawberries, torn fresh basil and cracked black or pink pepper.
Variation Deviled Egg:
- Gently stir in a chopped hard-boiled egg, a small spoonful of mayo and a dash of ground cayenne pepper.