Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pinches salt
- 6 large granny smith apples (a generous 3 lbs)
- 3/4cup flour
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice and a pinch salt. Peel, core and cut the apples into 3/4-inch-thick slices and stir into the lemon juice mixture as they are cut.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and granulated sugar. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture into the apples and transfer to an 8-cup round or square baking dish. Stir the walnuts and another pinch salt into the remaining crumb mixture, then spoon over the apples. Bake the crisp until the top is golden-brown and the apples are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, using an electric mixer, beat the cream, confectioners sugar and nutmeg on medium-high speed just until the cream holds soft peaks. Serve the crisp warm or at room temperature, dolloped with the whipped cream.