Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 10 ounces fresh pearl onions, unpeeled but root ends trimmed
- Ice water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2cups half-and-half
- 20 ounces frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4cup chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the onions for 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Gently squeeze the onions from the root end until they pop out of their skins; discard the skins.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the half-and-half and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl.