Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/2cup unsweetened apple juice
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 pound tart apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 4 cups whole wheat bread cubes (1/4 inch)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a 1-qt., heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook the sugar, without stirring, over medium heat until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the sugar turns a deep golden caramel color. Remove the melted sugar from the heat and carefully stir in the apple juice, 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. (Heads up: The caramel will bubble up, harden and steam vigorously.) Return to medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until the caramel is dissolved. Let the caramel sauce cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the caramel sauce with the sweet potato and apple cubes; transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake, stirring once, until the apples and sweet potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the remaining 3 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper; toss to coat evenly. Cook the bread cubes, stirring occasionally, until they are lightly toasted.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle the croutons on top. Bake until deep golden, about 10 minutes longer. Top with the parsley.