Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 7 navel oranges
- 1 bag (12 oz.) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove 2 strips of orange zest from 1 of the oranges. Halve and squeeze 2 of the oranges to get 1/2 cup juice (if you have super juicy oranges and get more than that, drink it up).
- In a large skillet, bring 1/4 cup water, the cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar and the orange zest to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool to room temperature, then discard the orange zest.
- Meanwhile, cut the peel and pith from the remaining 5 oranges. Working over a bowl, cut between the orange membranes to release the segments.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the squeezed orange juice, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon stick to a simmer and cook until the liquid is syrupy, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick (or save for another use) and transfer the orange syrup to a bowl.
- Drain the orange segments and add to the syrup. Stir in the candied cranberries. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.