Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 50 mins
- 1 large baguette (1 lb.), cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 containers (10 oz. each) freshly shucked oysters, quartered if large (about 2 cups) and liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 9-by- 13-inch baking dish. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the celery and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into the bowl with the bread and add the chicken broth, oysters with liquid, parsley, tarragon, paprika, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mix well and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover with greased foil and bake until hot, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.