Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 15 mins
- 8 ounces linguine pasta, broken in half
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless turkey breast, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces small white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cook the pasta according to package directions until just barely al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, season the turkey with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp. butter to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms start to soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the turkey.
- Melt the remaining 3 tbsp. butter in the skillet. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and broth and bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan and the peas and carrots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and turkey-mushroom mixture to the sauce and toss well to combine. Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan. Bake until the top is golden-brown and the sauce is bubbling, 12 to 15 minutes (shorten the baking time by at least 5 minutes if youre planning on freezing this for later).
- An extra buck will buy you...a crunchy topping. Add 1/2 cup seasoned dried breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp. EVOO to the parmesan.
- Freeze: Double-wrap (in plastic wrap and foil) the cooled dish and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Reheat: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Unwrap the foil, discard the plastic and re-cover with the foil. Bake until the center is warm, 30 to 35 minutes; uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes to recrisp the topping.