Makes: 15 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Roast: 50 mins
- 4 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees . Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Place the chicken breasts on 1 sheet and the thighs on the other. Drizzle with the EVOO and squeeze the lemons on top. Sprinkle with the paprika and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Roast until the skin is crisp and the juices run clear when the pieces are pierced with the tip of a small, sharp knife, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken skin, then pull and cut the meat off the bones. Tear the meat into shreds. (Save the bones, skin and any juices from the pans to make broth if desired; see bonus recipe at right.)
- Divide into 1 1/2 cup portions and transfer to resealable plastic sandwich bags. Squeeze out the air and flatten the bags. Seal and store flat in 2-gallon freezer bags.
- Thaw at room temperature for about 1 hour, or pop into the fridge in the morning and let thaw all day. (The microwave can be used in a pinch.)
- Use hot or smoked paprika instead of regular.
- Add a little bit of sesame oil in addition to the EVOO.
- Substitute limes for the lemons.
- Swap in tarragon for the thyme.