Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 40 mins
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs.)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 butternut squash--halved lengthwise, peeled, seeded and sliced crosswise
- 1/3cup EVOO
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped natural almonds, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat a grill to medium. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board, with the large cavity facing you. Using kitchen scissors and starting at the open cavity, cut down each side of the backbone; discard the backbone. Open the chicken like a book, then flip over. Press down firmly on the top fleshy part of the breast until you hear the bone crack.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill skin side up, covered, until well browned, about 25 minutes. Turn and cook through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the squash with 1 tbsp. EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning, until tender and golden, about 7 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, mint, almonds, garlic and remaining EVOO. To serve, drizzle the chicken and squash with the mint-almond pesto.
- AN EXTRA BUCK WILL BUY YOU...an ounce of parmesan cheese to grate over the butternut squash or add to the pesto.
- Save on Herbs...Make this dish for even less by using any fresh herb you have on hand (parsley, basil or cilantro, for example) in place of mint.