Say cheese! The fresher the mozzarella,the more it gives a nice, soft contrast tothe crunchy garlic croutons.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 15 mins
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4cup EVOO
- 3 bell peppers (mixed colors)
- 1/2pint grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 large baguette, sliced crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/3cup torn basil leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic and EVOO. Let sit while you prep and grill the bell peppers.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Cut the bell peppers into flat panels. (Discard the stems, cores and seeds.) Lightly oil the grill grate and grill the pepper pieces, covered and turning occasionally, until just softened, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch squares and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the tomatoes, onion and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with the garlic oil. Grill, turning once, until well marked and toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Cut into large cubes.
- Stir the remaining garlic oil into the salad. Add the croutons, mozzarella and basil; toss.
- Make a double or triple batch of the garlic oil and use it in vinaigrettes or as a simple baste for grilled meat or fish.