This ones for all you devotees of Americandiner flavors: grilled cheese sandwich meetstraditional burger.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound (85% lean) ground beef chuck
- Salt and pepper
- 4 potato or brioche buns (4-inch)
- 1/4cup mayonnaise
- 1/4cup ketchup
- 5 ounces sliced sharp yellow cheddar or American cheese
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby romaine leaves
- Preheat a grill to medium. Place the bacon in a large bowl, crumble the beef on top and season with salt and plenty of pepper; toss well. Shape the meat mixture into four 3 1/2- to 4-inch patties.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the bun tops and bottoms so they will sit flat on the grill. Spread the mayo and ketchup on the insides of both halves; divide the cheese among the bottoms; cover with the tops.
- Place the patties and cheese-filled buns on the grill, with the buns over a cooler area; cover the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Flip the patties and buns, cover and cook until the patties are medium, both sides of the buns are toasted and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the buns to plates and open carefully. Place a patty, a tomato slice and some lettuce on each bun bottom; replace the bun tops.
- Beer: a full-flavored lager, such as Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Wine: a California zinfandel or other hearty red.