Quick-grilling slices of avocado adds agreat look and extra flavor. Just be sure theslices are thick enoughat least 1/2 inch.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 limes, halved crosswise
- 1/4cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15 ouncecan black beans, rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/3cup (half of a small bunch) chopped cilantro
- 2 hass avocados
- 4 center-cut boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- Juice 1 lime half into a bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO and 3/4 teaspoon chili powder; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the black beans, bell pepper, scallion and cilantro. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Halve the avocados lengthwise and pit (but dont peel). Rub the cut surface with another lime half.
- Preheat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the pork chops with EVOO and rub with the remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until cooked through but still juicy, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Grill the remaining 2 lime halves cut side down until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes; squeeze over the pork chops.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the avocados (still in the skin) lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide slices; using a large spoon, scoop the slices out of the skin. Grill the slices until grill marks appear on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Arrange the slices grilled side up over the black bean salad and serve with the pork chops.
- The black bean salad can be put together the night before or in the morning.
- If the avocados are rock-hard, ripen in a paper bag for several days