Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Roast: 45 mins
- 1 5 - 6 pound chicken
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 whole wheat country loaf, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Place the chicken breast side down on a work surface. Using kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the backbone; pull out and discard. Open the chicken like a book and flip skin side up. Press on the breast until the bone cracks. Pat dry.
- Place a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Rub the chicken all over with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil; season well with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast side up in the skillet; transfer to the oven and roast until the skin is crisp and golden and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees when inserted into the thigh, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet; toast until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, parsley, garlic, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and the vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add the bread cubes and toss. Serve the chicken on top of the bread salad.
- Add olives and cubes of mozzarella cheese to the panzanella and serve as a light lunch.
- Smear a paste of garlic and herbs under the chicken skin before roasting.
- Pat the chicken dry before roasting to give it crispier skin.