Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Lukewarm water
- 3 - 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Grated peel of 2 oranges
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced plums
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup honey
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 cup lukewarm water. Let sit in a warm place until foamy, 10 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl. In another large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, the salt and orange peel. Stir in the raisins. Form a well in the center and pour in the yeast, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the olive oil. With greased hands, stir the mixture, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead, adding up to 1/4 cup additional flour as needed, until soft and slightly sticky, about 3 minutes. Transfer the dough to the prepared bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/4 hours. Transfer the dough to a greased 12-by-17-inch baking sheet and press 1/2 inch thick. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Using your fingertips, press deep dimples into the dough. Arrange the plums on top in a single layer, pressing in the fruit. Dot with the ricotta and drizzle with the honey. Bake until browned, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.