Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce to the skillet. Add the ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, worcestershire and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, coat the chicken in the sauce and place skin side up on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain, then mash with the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Serve alongside the chicken.