Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated peel and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4cup sour cream
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 16 ouncecan spicy refried beans
- 1 1/2cups grated pepper jack cheese
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, garlic and parsley. Stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil, the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir the lemon peel into the sour cream.
- Heat a large skillet over low heat. Soften each tortilla in the skillet for about 15 seconds on each side. Place the tortillas on a work surface and spread each with 2 tablespoons refried beans; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up the tortillas to resemble cigars.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Working in 3 batches and using the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, fry the taquitos, turning, until crisp and browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve the taquitos with the lemony sour cream and cucumber salsa.
- Spice up the salsa by stirring in 1 finely chopped jalapeno chile.
- Keep the taquitos warm in a 200 degrees oven until ready to serve.
- Cut fat and calories by skipping the oil and making quesadillas instead: Sandwich the filling between 2 tortillas and heat in the skillet until just browned.