Marc Brummer can build a reuben even if it means corning the beef from scratch. Marcs classic reuben is open-face, broiled and meant to be eaten with a fork and steak knife.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Bake: 5 mins
- 1 1/4 pounds thinly sliced corned beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 8 large slices rye bread with caraway seeds
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
- 16 slices swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large skillet, steam the corned beef in 1/4 cup water over medium heat until warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ketchup, mayonnaise and relish.
- Working on a baking sheet, spread the dressing onto one side of each bread slice. Divide the corned beef among the bread slices and top with the sauerkraut. Top with the cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.