Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 5 scallions, white and green portions thinly sliced separately
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 ounce cut okra, thawed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water and the evaporated milk to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low, stir in the grits, partially cover and simmer, stirring, until just thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese and three-quarters of the scallion greens, season with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
- While the grits are cooking, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until almost crisp, about 8 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and stir into the pan along with the scallion whites; cook until the shrimp is opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp mixture to a bowl; wipe out the skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Season the okra with salt and pepper and toss with the flour. Fry the okra in a single layer, stirring occasionally, until golden in spots, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels and season with salt.
- Divide the grits among 4 bowls and top with the shrimp mixture and okra. Sprinkle the remaining scallion greens on top.
- Save 5 minutes! Use the prepped bacon and shredded cheese from Monday.
- Coat the okra in cornmeal instead of the flour for extra crunch.
- Add heat by sauteing the shrimp mixture with a thinly sliced jalapeno chile.