Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2pound sirloin steak, cut into 8 strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces crusty bread, cut into cubes
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a medium saucepan, heat half of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium and slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture thickens and starts to boil. Stir in the cheese until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Thread the steak onto 4 skewers. Divide the bell pepper among 4 more skewers. Brush the pepper and beef with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Divide the bread among 4 more skewers and brush with the remaining butter. Arrange the bread and peppers on the grill and cook, turning, until charred on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, arrange the steak on the grill and cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes for medium. Serve the kebabs with the cheese sauce for dipping.