Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus 1/2 lemon cut lengthwise into 4 wedges
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce box plain couscous
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 5 ounces tilapia fillets
- In a small bowl, combine the onion and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, season with salt, cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous and parsley and remove from the heat; cover and let stand for at least 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- On a shallow plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon water. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, season the fish with salt and pepper, then dip into the egg mixture, turning to coat; add to the pan. Cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the remaining fish and egg mixture.
- Divide the couscous among 4 plates. Arrange the fish on top and sprinkle with the pickled onions. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Coat the fish in seasoned flour before and after dipping into the egg for extra crunch.
- Make a fish sandwich on a hoagie roll using the pickled onions, parsley and a smear of tartar sauce.
- Flake the fish and finely chop the pickled onions, stir into the couscous, bind with a beaten egg and fry in oil until crisp.