Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 10 mins
- 1/3cup shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 3/4cup panko
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup whole wheat flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 8 ounces fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/4cup cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Using a food processor, finely chop the coconut; transfer to a shallow bowl. Stir in the panko and season with salt and pepper. Place the flour in another shallow bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy, then stir in the coconut extract. Working in 3 batches, coat the shrimp in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in the egg white mixture to coat completely, then toss in the coconut-panko mixture. Place on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Bake until golden and the shrimp are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using the food processor, pulse the pineapple, chili garlic sauce and cilantro until coarsely chopped; season with salt and pepper. Serve the shrimp with the pineapple-cilantro dip.
- Planning will keep you from overheating in the kitchen. Take care of these tasks in advance, and you wont break a sweat. Toast then chop the coconut, add to breadcrumbs, then season with salt and pepper; prepare dipping sauce.