Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 20 mins
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2teaspoons mustard seeds, toasted
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2pounds flank steak, at room temperature
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds total), each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- Using a food processor, finely chop the garlic. Add the parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil, the onion, thyme, vinegar, mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pulse to combine. Coat the steak with 2 tablespoons of the chimichurri sauce and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a grill for both high and medium heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on an oiled grate over medium heat, cover and grill, turning occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the steak on the oiled grate over high heat, cover and grill, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a work surface and let rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing. Serve with the remaining chimichurri and the sweet potatoes.
- Swap in skirt or flatiron steak for the flank steak.
- Slice the steak and serve with warmed tortillas, chimichurri and pickled onions.
- Stir any leftover chimichurri sauce into mayonnaise for a sandwich spread.