Chili-spiced onion rings get really crisp when shallow-fried. And there's no need for special equipment or a ton of oil, like you would need for deep-frying.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups pancake mix (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups cold seltzer
- 3 large onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and separated into rings
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 3 inches of oil over medium-high heat until it registers 380 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, chili powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Whisk in the seltzer until smooth. Working in batches, coat the onion rings with the batter, letting the excess drip off; add to the oil and fry, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.